Shea Marshall - I’m the guy you call when you don’t know who to call
Here are some things I've been paid to do over the years.
Ask me about any of these, I have lots of good stories.
Musical Director -
- Over 5000 paid performances on at least 15 instruments, including: festivals, TV and concert appearances, ballet accompanist, burlesque club saxophonist, pipe organist for religious services, bandleader/sideman with ensembles for private events, parades, banquets.
- Recorded on over 100 albums, various instruments/genres.
- Performance experience all over USA, Canada, Mexico, France - live audiences up to 20000 in a variety of genres.
- Numerous live and recorded television performances.
- Performances with new artists same-day, with or without rehearsal.
- Conducted orchestras on stage and broadcast for award shows while on headset with director/production manager.
- Preproduction on bands for recording sessions
- Direct rehearsal of ensembles large and small.
- Produce books of sheet music for ensembles by transcribing from recordings.
- Manage and direct ensembles, accompany soloists, vocalists, comedians.
- Hired/staffed musicians and crew, managed bands and crew on site.
- Act as liaison between musicians and technicians, staff, clients.
- Communicate direction and production needs on stage to local crews in Mexico and France (basic Spanish/French language).
- Handle touring logistics - equipment/vehicle rental, travel, accommodations, scheduling, merchandise sales and inventory.
- Prepare technical rider/plot/input list for performances and interface with other
Technician / Engineer -
- Board level electronics repair and restoration (amplifiers, keyboards, effectsetc.)
- Pipe organ tuning (physical, up in the scaffolds).
- Sound system design, installation, operation.
- Workbench instrument repair/set up (woodwind repad/adjustment. string instrument action/truss/intonation. Electric piano tuning/voicing -Wurlitzer and Rhodes. Hammond B3 mechanical and electronic service)
- Video production and editing - camera operation, multi-camera video shoots, and composite with audio for broadcast/streaming using OBS. Final Cut, Davinci Resolve.
- Audio production and editing, mix, master (DAW and analog experience). ProTools, Reaper, Ardour, Melodyne.
- Graphics production and layout/prep for print (Photoshop, gIMP, Illustrator).
- Set construction - design of load-bearing structures and hands-on carpentry.
- Audio electronics design and modeling in SPICE with real world assembly and implementation.
- Front of house mix for live shows.
- Control room comp/edit/mix for recordings.
- DMX lighting design/set/operate/strike.
- Prepare and follow run-of-show for performances including video, dancers, keynote, stage direction, lighting cues, etc.
- Musical arrangement and sheet music/score preparation from scratch for recording sessions, strings, jazz ensembles, chamber groups, horn section, etc.
- Lead sheet transcription/preparation for performance in various styles.
- Arrangement and cue sheets for award show/'tonight show type' orchestra, theme/play on/play off/transition music.
- Transcription, arrangement, staffing, and prep of concert to accompany Mandarin/Cantonese/Hokkien singer.
- Arrangement and sheet music preparation for recording sessions, various ensembles/styles.
- Guide track creation for recording sessions.
- 44 registered, royalty-paying compositions w/ BMI.
- Guest lecture/Master class for undergraduate music students (Arizona State University and Northern Arizona University)
- Taught lessons to students on 8 instruments in private music school setting.
- 2yrs experience teaching in grade school.
- Arranging/coaching/rehearsing high school ensembles.
- Teaching and coaching of other professionals and bands in music theory, arranging, recording techniques, and business.
- Over $1M in direct private event live music sales.
- Event staffing/direction.
- Liase with venue and planning team to advance events (prepare tech. rider, contracts, run-of show/timeline)
- Train and manage new sales reps.
- Hire/train/direct hundreds of freelance musicians.
- Prepare travel/accommodations, and equipment/vehicle rental for traveling groups.
- Prepare travel arrangements, accommodations, backline, transportation, customs declaration/equipment manifest for international travel/booking.
- Handle contracts and insurance for private bookings.
- Handle client disputes.
- Manage multiple concurrent bookings in multiple states including sales and scouting/hiring staff in unfamiliar markets.
I can probably take some work off your hands if I have the time. Email me.